Recipe for a 20cm (8in) deep tin
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 170g (6oz) softened butter
- 170g (6oz) caster sugar
- 110g (4oz) ground almonds
- 1 lemon (juice and grated rind)
- 3 medium eggs
- 200g milk chocolate
- 60g butter
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light smooth and pale.
- Add the eggs, flour, lemon juice, lemon rind and ground almonds, mixing thoroughly.
- Place the mixture into a 20cm(8inch) greased and floured tin.
- Bake at 300°F (150°C) for one hour or until springy in the middle when pressed.
- Leave to cool on wire rack.
- Slice off the very top of the cake to form a flat surface.
- Wrap some greaseproof paper around the sides of the cake, standing proud of the top, secure with a peice of string of small peice of selotape.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into well created by the greaseproof paper. This should form just over one centimetre of chocolate.
- Leave to set.
- Optional: Place marzipan fruits or decoration of choice on top to finish.