Makes 12 large gingerbread men.
- 140g unsalted butter
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 350g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 balls stem ginger from a jar, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a pan.
- Mix flour, soda, spices and a pinch of salt in a seperate bowl.
- Stir in the butter mix and chopped ginger to make a stiff-ish dough.
- Once cool enough to handle, roll out the dough to about 5mm thick and cut out gingerbread men, re-rolling and pressing the trimmings back together and rolling again.
- Lift the gingerbread men onto the baking sheets then bake for 12 mins until golden.
- Leave to cool 10 mins on the sheets before lifting onto cooling racks.
- Decorate to own taste.
Keep in an air tight container for upto one week.