- 700g (1½lb) raw fruit
- 75g (3oz) margarine or butter (if using gluten free flour use additional margarine or butter)
- 175g (6oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 100-175g (4-6oz) granulated sugar plus 50g (2oz) for stiring into the crumble
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Prepare fruit as would for stewing and layer into a 900ml-1.1l (1½-2pt) ovenproof dish with 100-175g (4-6oz) sugar, depending on the sharpness of the fruit.
- Rub the butter into the flour under the mixture is the texture of fine crumbs; stir in 50g (2oz) sugar. The crumble mix should be a pale golden colour, if very pale add additional butter or margarine.
- Sprinkle the mixture on top of the prepared fruit (I tend to press the crumble down lightly, but thats just my preference).
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 30 to 40 minutes.