Recipe for two 20cm (8in) shallow sandwich tins or two 17.5cm (7in) shallow square tin
- 185g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 1½ tsp (7.5ml) baking powder
- 185g (6oz) caster sugar
- 185g (6oz) soft margarine
- 3 medium eggs
- Chocolate - 1½ tbsp cocoa blended with 1½ tbsp boiling water
- Vanilla - ½ to ¾ tsp vanilla
- Optional - 25g chocolate chips or grated chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition. The mix should be smooth and glossy after beating all the eggs into the mix
- Sift the flour into the bowl and using a spatula/metal spoon (or equivalent) fold the flour carefully into the mixture until the flour is incorporated (mix any varation ingredients in with the flour).
- Split the mixture evenly between the two tins and spread the mixture evenly within the tin using a small palette knife.
- Bake at 325°F (160°C) for 30 to 35 minutes. The cake should be golden brown and feel firm and springy when cooked.
Chocolate filling and topping
- Topping - Take approxmately 100g of cooking milk chocolate and carefully melt together with 1/3 (33g) butte.
- Butter cream filling - Blend 75g (3oz) butter, 175g (6oz) icing sugar, 15ml (1 tbsp) Cocoa powder, 15-30ml (1-2 tbsp) milk.
- Topping - Lightly dust with icing sugar or use chocolate topping amounts from above with white chocolate.
- Butter cream filling - Blend the same ingredients replacing the cocoa powder with a few drops of vanilla essence.